Carl M. Cohen, Ph.D.
President of Science Management Associates
Dr Cohen is an experienced executive with over 30 years of strategic and operational expertise in the biotechnology industry and in biomedical research and administration. He has proven skills in building consensus among diverse stake-holders and in identifying and resolving organizational roadblocks to success.
Dr. Cohen is a thought leader in the field of management and leadership training for scientists and technical professionals. His work has been the subject of feature articles in both Science and Nature - click here to see the most recent articles (pdf download).
Partial list of SMA clients:
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals
- Bavarian-Nordic LLC
- Boston Veterans Administration Health Care System
- Boston Biomedical Innovation Center
- Cambridge Healthtech Institute
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
- Cubist Pharmaceuticals
- Harvard Medical School
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute- Janelia Farm
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Merck Pharmaceuticals
- National Institutes of Health Training Center
- National Cancer Institute
- National Institute of Aging
- National Institute of Environmental Health Science
- U.S. Naval Institute for Biomolecular Research
- NGM BioPharmaceuticals
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Pfizer Pharmaceuticals
- Rockefeller University
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
- Tufts University School of Medicine
- University of California at San Francisco
- U.S. Dept. of Energy (Sunshot Initiative)
- Van Andel Research Institute
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals
- Wyeth Pharmaceuticals (pre-Pfizer acquisition)
Lab Dynamics: Management and Leadership Skills for Scientists. By Carl M. Cohen and Suzanne L. Cohen. (2012) 2nd ed. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.
The premier guide to management and leadership skills for scientists.
Recent workshops run by Dr. Cohen
Science Next Wave (August 11, 2006)
Science Next Wave (November 11, 2005)
Science Next Wave (September 2, 2005)
Featured Online Perspective at the Science Advisory Board
Newsletter of the American Society for Cell Biology, January 2004
Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, 2003
Chemistry Today, Oct/Nov 2003
Reviews of and commentaries on Dr. Cohen's workshops
Read here about the impact that Dr. Cohen's 2012 "Leadership in Bioscience" workshop at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory had on one participant ("Scientists must be taught to manage," Nature 483:511).
This article describes the impact that the "Leadership in Bioscience" workshop had on a 2011 participant ("Training: Workshops that work," Nature 488:419-420).
In addition, see this article for a perspective written by alums of the 2013 "Leadership.." workshop ("Education: Scientists need leadership training," Nature 506:159), and this article for alumni perspectives from both the "Leadership .." 2012 and 2015 workshops ("Supervision: Clear direction," Nature 527:125-126).
Finally, see this article ("Learning to lead a lab" Science Careers, Feb. 21, 2014) for general information about leadership training for scientists, featuring comments by Dr. Cohen.